On 1 January 2010, Western Australia became a participating jurisdiction in the national gas regulatory scheme to the extent set out in the National Gas Access (WA) Act 2009.
The National Gas Access (WA) Act 2009 adopts a modified version of the National Gas Law (National Gas Access (Western Australia) Law).
Under the National Gas Access (Western Australia) Law, the National Gas Rules applying to Western Australia is version 1 of the National Gas Rules, as amended by:
- the South Australian Minister under the National Gas Law that has been adopted by Western Australia under an adoption of amendments order made by the WA Minister for Energy; and
- the AEMC in accordance with its rule making power under section 74 of the National Gas Access (Western Australia) Law.
As at 18 March 2019, the following Rules made by the SA Minister have been adopted by WA under an adoption of amendment order have been made by the WA Minister for Energy:
- The National Gas (Pipelines Access – Arbitration) Amendment Rule 2017 (adopted under the National Gas Access (WA) Adoption of Amendments Order 2017)
Under section 313 of the National Gas Access (Western Australia) Law, the AEMC has made the following rules:
- National Gas Amendment (Prioritisation of Tied Controlled Withdrawal Bids) Rule 2010 No. 1
- Price and Revenue Regulation of Gas Services Rule 2012 No. 3
- National Gas Amendment (Setting the Opening Capital Base) Rule 2014 No.5
- National Gas Amendment (Rate of Return Guidelines review) Rule 2016 No. 2
- National Gas Amendment (Regulation of covered pipelines) Rule 2019 No. 1