Mapping the NECF and the ACL
To assist in comparing how consumer protections operate under the National Energy Customer Framework (NECF) and the Australian Consumer Law (ACL) the Commission identified five categories of protection that are applicable to both frameworks:
- the contract (contract terms provisions)
- retailer and distributer general information obligations before a contract is formed (marketing and offers) and once the contract is formed (additional information requirements)
- service standards and quality
- complaints and dispute resolution procedures (ombudsman schemes)
- additional protections (financial difficulty, disconnection/reconnection, life support equipment).