1998 – National Electricity Market is established
2005 – AEMC is established and assumes responsibility for rule making and market development for the operation of the electricity wholesale market and transmission regulation.
2008 – AEMC’s role expands to economic regulation of:
- electricity distribution network services
- gas transmission and distribution services
- natural gas pipeline access.
2009 – AEMC’s role expands to:
- gas retail functions
- Victoria’s declared wholesale market.
2010 – Western Australia joins national gas regulatory scheme.
- AEMC’s role expands to include gas Short Term Trading Markets
- Energy ministers endorse new National Energy Customer Framework.
2012 - AEMC assumes responsibility for the National Energy Retail Rules under the Ministerial Council on Energy’s National Energy Customer Framework package of reforms.