This rule change request from the COAG Energy Council proposes to establish a national register of distributed energy resources, including small-scale battery storage systems and rooftop solar. The register would give AEMO and distribution businesses more data to help with day-to-day operations to keep the power system secure and safe.
On 6 March 2018 the AEMC published a consultation paper for the register of distributed energy resources rule change.
The consultation paper sets out a summary of, and background to, the rule change request and outlines the process for making submissions. Issues for stakeholder comment include:
- the expected benefits and costs of the register
- governance of the register, including which party is accountable for the register and what DER systems will be included
- data collection and compliance, such as who will be responsible for collecting the data and how compliance will be ensured
- transparency and confidentiality issues, including the proposal to share information with third parties and potential privacy concerns
- safety issues, including the use of the register for emergency response.
The Commission will hold a workshop to facilitate input from stakeholders on 27 March 2018 at the AEMC’s office in Sydney from 10am to 1pm.
Register for the workshop
Submissions to the consultation paper are due by 17 April 2018.
Stakeholders are welcome to use a template for their responses.
On 5 October 2017 the AEMC received a rule change request from the COAG Energy Council to amend the National Electricity Rules and the National Energy Retail Rules. The rule change request seeks to improve the collection and sharing of information about small-scale behind the meter distributed energy resources in the NEM.
The COAG Energy Council is concerned that, as batteries and other distributed energy resources increase in coming years, power system management challenges and safety risks may also rise if current information gaps about these installations are not addressed.
To address these issues, the COAG Energy Council proposes to establish a national register of distributed energy resources, including small-scale battery storage systems and rooftop solar. The proposal seeks to achieve this by placing obligations on:
- the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) to administer the register
- distribution businesses to collect information about distributed energy resources connected to their network, and provide this information to AEMO.