Rule Change: Open
This rule change request from the Australian Energy Council seeks to enhance publicly available information about new generation projects. It would also allow developers of these projects to register with AEMO to get access to key technical information such as network modelling data.
Consolidation of related rule changes
The Commission has consolidated this request with two other rule change requests that also seek to promote the transparency of new generation projects and improve information provision in the national electricity market:
- NEM information for project developers (ERC0260) submitted by Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO)
- TNSP exemptions from confidentiality requirements (ERC0268) submitted by Energy Networks Australia.
These rule change requests have been submitted in response to the significant increase in generation connections and the emergence of new business models for generation projects.
On 18 April 2019 the Commission published a consultation paper that seeks stakeholder input on the proposed changes outlined in the three rule change requests (summarised below).
Stakeholder submissions to the consultation paper closed on 23 May 2019. The submissions can be found below.
Background – rule change requests
On 15 December 2018 the Australian Energy Council submitted a rule change request to the Commission seeking to increase the transparency of new projects. The request has four key parts:
- Codifying AEMO’s generation information page in the National Electricity Rules (NER or Rules).
- Imposing a requirement on intending participants to provide updated information to AEMO, for example when their projects change.
- Reforming the intending participant category, consistent with the proposals made by AEMO (discussed below).
- Enabling AEMO to disclose confidential information if it reaches the public domain.
On 31 December 2018 AEMO submitted a rule change request seeking to allow a developer to register as an intending participant for the purposes of building a grid-scale generating system or an industrial development (e.g. a load), despite such a person never intending to register as market participant.
On 15 March 2019 Energy Networks Australia submitted a rule change request seeking to explicitly allow transmission network service providers (TNSPs) to publish certain information they have received from connection applicants regarding new and proposed generation connections.View less
|Rule change request – AEC||Rule change request - AEMO|
|Rule change request – Energy Networks Australia|