Rule Change: Completed
On 13 July 2023, the AEMC published the self-initiated Minor changes 1 2023 rule change proposal.
The rule change proposal was initiated by the AEMC to correct Minor errors and make non-material changes to the National Electricity Rule (NER), the NER as they apply in the Northern Territory and the National Gas Rules (NGR) to improve their quality. As with previous AEMC initiated rules, these minor corrections and non-material changes make the rules clearer to stakeholders.
In particular, the final rules
- introduce new naming conventions in Chapter 11 of the NER to assist with readability. This is the first step in the process of making Chapter 11 more accessible;
- amend the transitional rules for the National Electricity Amendment (Efficient reactive current access standards for inverter-based resources) Rule 2023;
- delete clause 7.8.2(f)(4) of the NER, on the basis it has become redundant. Clause 7.8.2(f)(4) currently contains requirements for new accumulation metering equipment for non-market generating units;
- make a differential rule for clauses 5.3.1A(c) and 5.3A.1(c)(1) of the NER, as they apply in the Northern Territory. This is to preserve the numbering of the modification to these clauses arising from the Northern Territory Modification Regulations;
- correct minor formatting and typographical errors, including punctuation, numbering levels, indentation and italicisation;
- ensure consistency of references to provisions throughout the NER and the NGR;
- correct minor errors in definitions and cross-references; and
- remove duplication.
Submissions to the rule change proposal closed on 10 August 2023.
The AEMC received one submission on the rule change proposal from AEMO and one late submission from Powerlink Queensland.
The Commission undertook an expedited process for this rule change request as it was considered non-controversial. Under an expedited rule making process, a final rule determination must be made within eight weeks of the initiation of the process under the uniform energy rules.
The AEMC did not receive any objections to it assessing the rule under the expedited rule making process.
The AEMC has made a final rule determination to make the Minor changes 1 2023 electricity and gas rules, which commenced operation on 7 September 2023.
On 13 July 2023, the AEMC gave notice under sections 95 and 96(1)(a) of the National Electricity Law and sections 303 and 304 of the National Gas Law to initiate the proposed National Electricity Amendment (Minor changes 1) Rule 2023 and the National Gas Amendment (Minor changes 1) Rule 2023 under the expedited Rule making process.