Rule Change: Open
The rule change request seeks to amend nine areas of the National Electricity Rules (NER) that AEMO considers would assist in implementing five minute settlement and global settlement efficiently and effectively. The changes seek to improve wholesale market operations under five minute settlement, clarify global settlement arrangements and improve information provision requirements.
Treatment as a non-controversial rule change request
AEMO considers that all the proposed NER amendments will not have a significant effect on the National Electricity Market (NEM) and are non-controversial. Therefore, AEMO has requested that its rule change request be expedited.
The Commission considers that all proposed amendments are non-controversial. The rule change involves administrative and technical changes that are mostly minor, and are unlikely to have a significant effect on the NEM. Rule changes that are considered to be non-controversial may be processed under an expedited (faster) process under which there is only one round of consultation and the AEMC must publish its final determination within eight weeks of commencing the rule change process.
The Commission has decided to use an expedited process, provided that it does not receive any valid requests not to use the expedited process by 27 June 2019.
Key dates for stakeholders in this process are as follows:
- Commencement of rule change process – 13 June 2019
- Objections to an expedited process to be received by – 27 June 2019
- Submissions to the proposal to be received by – 11 July 2019
- Final determination to be published under expedited process – 8 August 2019
The rule change request
On 15 March 2019, the AEMC received a rule change request from AEMO relating to the implementation of the Five minute settlement and Global settlement and market reconciliation (Global settlement) rules. The rule change seeks to amend six areas of the NER.
On 13 May 2019, the AEMC received an addendum to the Five minute settlement and global settlement implementation amendments rule change request from AEMO. The addendum identified three further areas of the NER that AEMO is seeking to have amended as part of the rule change request. AEMO has requested that all nine proposed amendments be considered as part of the same (single) rule change request.
The nine proposed amendments are:
- resolution for calculating marginal loss factors – 30 minutes or shorter
- accommodating fast-start plant in pre-dispatch
- correction to list of AEMO procedures
- assigning non-market unmetered loads to a Transmission Node Identifier or Virtual Transmission Node
- removing retailer responsibility at transmission / distribution boundary points
- all customer loads to be market loads
- unaccounted for energy not to be allocated to distribution-connected generators
- amending the spot market operations timetable
- timing for AEMO to publish unaccounted for energy data.
Background on Five minute settlement rule and Global settlement rule
Information on the Five minute settlement rule and Global settlement rule are available on the AEMC’s website below:View less